Friday, March 21, 2014

A Sermon for a Saturday Morning Men's Group

Introduction- Ask yourself do you want to change? Even better, ask yourself are you willing to change? I can guarantee that something will be said in this room this morning that will have the power to change you. But do you really want it? Change only comes to those with desire.
Psalms 57: 2 “I cry out to God Most High, to God who will fulfill his purpose for me!!”  Are you ready to cry out? To have your purpose fulfilled?

Trivia – Guess Who?
This super hero originated with DC Comics.
He was on a team with one more superhero and together this team was called the “World’s Finest.”
He once rose from the dead.
His secret headquarters is named the Fortress of Solitude.
Action 1, the most valuable comic book in the world, features this superhero.
He grew up in Smallville and later worked at the Daily Planet as a reporter under the name Clark Kent.

What does Superman have to do with us this morning? I want to talk to you today about the three S’s of manhood. I want to talk about what it means to be a man, a father, a friend, and a leader. There are many men in the world but through the work of Jesus Christ we are called to be supermen.
I don’t believe we can all leave here with x ray vision, bullet proof chests, and flying capabilities (although that would be pretty sweet!) but I do believe you can absolutely be changed this morning by having a firm understanding of the three S’s. Additionally, I want to explain to you the kryptonite of the three S’s so that it can be avoided.

These three S’s apply to your marriage relationship, your relationship with your children, your friends, and your followers. Each one of them was demonstrated in the life of Christ. They were common threads that were interwoven in Jesus’ life. There was never a more manly man to have ever lived than Jesus. He was a superman. He lived and breathed these three S’s and we will explore how in Scripture. The three S’s are as follows:
1.   Service – We see services in the external expressions of a superman. It is when one gives directly to others in time, energy, and action simply for the good of another. I want to give attention to the word directly. I am not merely suggesting doing something good that you enjoy that may also helps others, but doing something solely for the primary benefit of another. It is – giving your undivided attention to your kids, getting off your butt and helping your wife with the chores, volunteering to serve at church. It is meeting with someone at an inopportune time to offer them help. It is a Nathanael Miller spending giving his weekend and long evenings helping me and teaching me how to frame a wall and remodel my living room.

2.   Support – We see support in the internal expressions of a superman. It is helping others navigate through their failures and successes. For you fathers it is answering your child’s deepest questions, “Do I have what it takes?” (boys) or “Am I lovely and cherished?” (girls) Dealing with their fears and holding their hand as they go face to face with a problem only they can solve. It is leading your wife in love when she is out of whack. It is being a listening, non-critical ear to the hurting heart. It is allowing people to make mistakes and still supporting the best for them. It is being strong when others are not.



3.Strength – We see strength in the reflective expressions of a superman. It is consistently living a life worth following filled with integrity, virtue, and endurance. The key word here is consistent. Are you a rock when the rest of life is an ocean? Are you a safe place of protection for those in need? Can you always be counted on to be there or do you give up, throw fits, and demand your way? Do you let down those who rely on you? Your presence, integrity, and moral excellence should be unchanging and reliable.

As I mentioned earlier the three S’s were the over-arching them of Jesus’ manhood while he was on this earth.  Here are a few key examples.
Jesus SERVED the masses in  Mark 8: 1-8. “1Another time there were many people with Jesus. The people had nothing to eat. So he called his followers to him and said,“I feel sorry for these people..(He supernaturally provided food for them) They all ate until they were full. 
Jesus SERVED by healing the sick late into the night when His disciples wanted to send them away.
 Matthew 14:14-16 14 When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick.
15 As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food.”
16 Jesus replied, “They do not need to go away.

Jesus showed SUPPORT when he arranged to meet with Nichodemus in the middle of the night to answer his true questions. Jesus showed support when he saved the life of the adulterous woman and looked her in the eyes with non-condemning judgment. (John 3:1-21, John 8:1-15)

Jesus demonstrated the greatest STRENGTH of all when he died for a people who crucified him. Even up to the moment of his own death he refused to curse them and was filled only with love for them. Jesus longed for people to accept his strength. Listen to his words in Luke 13:34,  “"Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing.

One of my favorite stories of Jesus being a superman is when he called Zacchaeus out of the tree in Luke 19. Jesus saw a man who had a need. He picked him out from a vast crowd, and honored this man who was lowly in everyone’s sight. He called him down from that tree but then called him up to a new life.
So What About this Kryptonite?
Unlike Jesus we are prone to the effects of kryptonite. I believe I have identified three things that weaken us and work directly against the three S’s. I have learned these because lately God has been teaching me how I have been suffering. I have allowed these three things to hang around and slowly drain me of my superman abilities. I am going to open up in hopes that you can relate.
1.   Image- I care too much about what others think of me or what they don’t think of me. I have an image in my mind of the man I would like to be. Often I find myself trying to fabricate this image causing foolish, selfish decisions or a fear of failure that slows me down. I want to stop comparing myself to others. I want to be the man God specifically created me to be with holy confidence before God and others.  Do you?

2.   Priorities – I often place my own comfort above others. I often don’t leave enough margin in my life to allow me to effectively minister to others. I order my life and hobbies at times without considering others. Sometimes I would rather pursue my own ambitions before helping someone else achieve theirs. This should not be! I want to change!!   Do you?

3.   Overflow – Because I am too busy, because I care too much about me, because I don’t always put in the hard work to pursue the heart of Jesus. I lack overflow to give to others. At times I want to be a superman but all my strength has left me and I have no service, support, or strength left to offer anyone. I need constant intake from the Holy Spirit to have enough overflow to help others. I want to be characterized by passion for Christ. Every day I want to be ready to talk about and share with others the work that Christ is currently doing in me.    Do you?

I will close with these questions. Are you willing to be a superman? Do you have kryptonite that needs to be removed in your life? Is there a Zacchaeus that you need to call out to? Are you willing to be called down from your various trees that you like to climb by a brother in this room? Are you willing to really change? Are you ready to cry out to God Most High so that He may fulfill your purposes?  
We (the leaders of this group) have a vision for this group that reaches beyond the 35 men in this room. There are countless men who are waiting for us to reach them. Countless women, children, and friends are depending on those men who wait for us. We can only reach more, fulfill our purposes if we are calling out to one another regularly, reminding each other to be supermen. We need one another. Don’t be offended if someone calls to ask how you are doing. Let them call out to you, and call out to them back! If you are not calling out, talking, and meeting with others in this group then something is wrong.


If you maintain service, support, and strength in your life and get rid of your “image”, your misaligned priorities, and your lack of overflow this ministry will greatly benefit and continue to the next level of maturity. But what I care about most of all is that you will greatly benefit with an improved relationship with God and others. Suit up Clark Kent! It’s time to be Superman!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment